The RASC's Awards Committee is charged with reviewing nominations for the Society's major awards and making recommendations to the National Council for the presentation of these awards to their recipients. The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada grants a number of awards from time to time, based on merit for research, study, writing, and service to the astronomical community.
- Chant Medal - Awarded based on the value of significant astronomical work carried out over a period of time by an RASC member.
- Ken Chilton Prize - Awarded in recognition of significant astronomical work carried out or published recently by an RASC member.
- Simon Newcomb Award - Awarded for literary achievement in astronomical writing and/or publishing.
- Service Award - For contributions to the RASC over a minimum 10-year span.
- Qilak Award - Joint with CASCA and the FAAQ, recognize individual Canadian residents who have made an outstanding contribution to the public understanding and appreciation of astronomy in Canada.Committee Definition
The official responsibilities of the Awards Committee are:
- The Awards Committee shall consist of the immediate past President as chairperson, the Editor of the Journal, and no more than three additional members of the Society.
- The Awards Committee shall:
- solicit recommendations for candidates for the Society's awards from Centres and from all members of the Society through the Society's publications,
- consider recommendations for candidates for the Society's awards,
- recommend to the Council candidates for the Society's awards,
- advise the Council respecting existing and proposed Society awards, including eligibility for such awards, and
- have such other duties as may be prescribed by the Council. (Source: RASC By-Law Number 1)
To reach the committee you may e-mail the Awards Committee Chair.
Committee Members - Effective July 2015
Glenn Hawley (Past President, Calgary), Chair
Jay Anderson (Winnipeg)
Randy Boddam (Belleville)
- James Edgar ex officio (President, Regina)
- Nicole Mortillaro (JRASC Editor, , Toronto)