Since 1907 the RASC has been actively involved in promoting and advancing astronomy through periodical publications and books. The world-renowned Observer's Handbook is the world's most comprehensive and authoritative astronomical almanac and observing guide. The Journal of the RASC is bi-monthly magazine that publishes timely and interesting columns and articles of interest to the amateur community. It also welcomes articles on Canadian astronomers and current activities of the RASC and its Centres, research and review papers by professional and amateur astronomers, and articles of a historical, biographical, or educational nature of general interest to the astronomical community. We also publish an annual Observer's Calendar, Skyways, and The Beginner's Observing Guide.
The Publications Committee is responsible for all aspects of the Society's publications including their editorial teams, financial arrangements and marketing and sales efforts. To find out more about each publication you can refer to the main publications page.
The Publications Committee shall consist of the First Vice-President, who shall be Chairperson, the Publications Editors, and one other Society member.
The Publications Committee shall:
- determine the editorial policies of the publications of the Society other than those of the Centres;
- advise and assist the editors of the Society's publications respecting the discharge of their duties;
- and have such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board.
To reach the committee you may email the Publications Committee Chair.
Committee Members - Effective July 2014
- Colin Haig (1st Vice-President, Hamilton), Chair
- Jay Anderson (Winnipeg), Journal Editor
- Dave Chapman (Halifax), Observer's Handbook Editor
- James Edgar ex officio (President, Regina)
- Dave Garner (Kitchener-Waterloo), eBulletin Editor
- Paul Gray (New Brunswick), Observer's Calendar Editor
- Craig Levine (London)
- Nicole Mortillaro (Toronto)
- *Randy Attwood, Executive Director
* = non-voting member