The Nominating Committee is made up of one Past President and two appointees, and is responsible for managing the process of nominations for the Society's:
- National Secretary (Recorder)
- Appointed Officers
- Journal Editor
- Observer's Calendar Editor
- Observer's Handbook Editor
- Honorary Members
- Honorary President
The Nomination period for each elected office is set annually by the Committee and advertised in Society publications and on this Web site.
The Nominating Committee shall consist of three past Presidents of the Society determined by the Council.
The Nominating Committee shall
- prepare a list of one or more candidates for each elected office for which an election must be held. This list shall be presented to the Secretary of the Society at least sixty days before the annual meeting.
- prepare a list of one or more candidates for each appointed office for which an appointment must be made and shall present such list to the Council at any meeting of the Council as soon as is practical after the vacancy or impending vacancy becomes known. By ordinary resolution, the Council shall appoint an eligible member of the Society to each such office.
- make nominations to the Council for Honorary Members of the Society from time to time, supporting every nomination with a written statement citing the nominee's noteworthy contributions to astronomy, and
- have such other duties as may be prescribed by the Council.
To reach the committee you may e-mail the Nominating Committee Chair.
Committee Members - Effective July 2012
- Chris Gainor (Victoria) Chair
- Eric Briggs (Toronto)
- David Clark (London)
- Peter Jedicke (London)
- Glenn Hawley (Calgary, ex officio)