The Finance Committee assists the Treasurer in the performance of his or her duties and undertakes to analyse specific issues in relation to the Society's finances and make recommendations to the National Council. In recent years the Finance Committee has been involved with:
- the Society's Investment Policy
- Life Membership financing
- annual budget preparation
- cost of membership calculations
- changes to the report to National Council
- documentation of financial procedures
Members with an interest or background in finance, accounting, or investments are encouraged to consider serving on the Finance Committee to assist with one or more short-term special projects.
The Finance Committee shall consist of the Treasurer, who shall be chairperson, the Second Vice-President, and two other members of the Society.
The Finance Committee shall:
- prepare the annual budget of the Society for presentation to and adoption by the Council,
- administer and invest the special funds of the Society,
- invest moneys of the Society not required for current operations in deposits in Canadian banks, or securities authorized for insurance companies under the Canadian and British Insurance Companies Act (Canada), or with an institution insured under the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation Act, (Canada), or in such other investments as may be approved by the Council from time to time, (amended, July 1994)
- review the annual financial statements of the Society referred to in Article 9.03(2) prior to their submission to the Council,
- advise the Treasurer and the Council with respect to the financial affairs of the Society, and
- have such other duties as may be prescribed by the Council.
To reach the committee you may e-mail the Finance Committee Chair.
Committee Members - Effective July 2012
- Denis Grey (Toronto), Chair
- Colin Haig (Hamilton)
Glenn Hawley (Calgary)
- Mayer Tchelebon (Toronto)
- * Deborah Thompson (Toronto)