- Are you a teacher or an educator working with youth groups?
- You would like to organize astronomy activities but you don’t know where to start?
- You want to feel more comfortable teaching this science?
There is a solution! Discover the Universe is a training program offered by Canadian astronomers to help teachers and educators share this fascinating science. All activities and resources are offered online and free! We offer two types of training:
- Workshops for teachers: Based on school curriculum and include activities to do in class, teaching resources and tips on how to teach astronomy in a fun and innovative way.
- Workshops for informal educators: An emphasis on learning the night sky and on activities that can easily be done outside with little material.
Upcoming Discover the Universe Workshops - FREE and ONLINE!
Workshop for informal educators – June 3 to 21, 2013
This workshop is especially designed for informal educators working with youth groups or in an outdoor setting. You will discover many astronomy activities which can be done with your public while becoming more familiar with basic astronomy concepts. You will also learn to recognize the main summer constellations so you can start planning activities under the night sky.
Workshop for teachers – September 30 to October 18, 2013
This workshop is especially designed for teachers of grades 5 to 8. We will cover basic astronomy concepts covered by the pan-Canadian school curriculum and will offer ideas for in-class activities. You will also learn to recognize the main constellations and how to include observational projects in your teaching.
How does it work?
Our online workshops are conducted once a week. We will meet online for a one hour webinar where your astronomy education professional will present information and where participants can interact through the chat. This webinar is always recorded for those who cannot join live. Participants also have some activities to do at their own pace throughout the workshop. All our workshops are also offered in French.
Please visit our website for more information and to register: www.discovertheuniverse.ca .