Girl Guide Badge Requirements
Astronomy Badge Purpose
To introduce you to the pleasure of stargazing and increase you knowledge of astronomy.
Complete six of the following eight activities to earn this badge.
- Define the following: Planet, Comet, Meteor, Meteorite, Star, and the Milky Way.
- Draw a picture or make a model of our solar system. Show the different planets.
- Find out how we can use the sun and stars to tell directions. Locate the North Star
- Learn about the movement of the stars. Use a star map.
- There are many ancient tales of how the constellations came to be; for example, there are the stories of the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper, of Pegasus the flying horse, and many others. Learn one of these stories and share it with others.
- Find the constellations of Cassiopeia & Ursa Major (which includes the Big Dipper) and: two of the constellations Cygnus, Taurus, Leo, Gemini, Pegasus or the stars of the summer triangle or any two of the bright stars: Capella, Sirius, Aldebaran, Arcturus, Antares or one planet in the night or morning sky.
- Learn more about the moon - the phases its age, names of features - and then take a closer look with binoculars or a small telescope.
- Learn the parts of a telescope and how to use one or visit a large observatory and learn about the telescopes there.