The transit of Venus occurs when Venus passes across the disk of the Sun. Since the invention of the telescope, only 6 transits have occurred, and the seventh will take place on 5 June 2012. This will be only the fourth transit since astronomical photography began, and the second in which digital imaging will be the rule.
Following our successful expedition to Egypt in 2004 for the last transit, the Toronto Centre is mounting an expedition to Hawaii to observe this June's event. Members of the Society are welcome to join us for this event which includes a visit to Mauna Key Observatory as well as an opportunity to view the transit and take in attractions in Hawaii itself.
For more information you can contact the tour organizer (Ralph Chou) at "ralph" "dot" "chou" "ampersand" "sympatico" "dot" "ca" :-) or the agent at Enrich Travel (email@example.com). Note that there are only 25 places available - a short waiting list will be kept but act immediately to reserve your place!
Transit of Venus Expedition 2012
The itinerary is as follows:
- 03 June Meet at Hilo airport transfer to hotel. Free at leisure. Accommodation: 4* hotel
- 04 June After breakfast, sightseeing in Hilo (a panoramic view of the Akaka Falls or the journey to volcanoes National Park, Coffee plantation). Free at leisure
- 05 June (Transit Day) - After breakfast, transfer to Mauna Kea Observatory, drop off at visitors center and pick up around 7pm transfer back to hotel. Arrangements have been made to visit the Gemini North telescope at the summit.
- 06 June Breakfast at hotel. Free at leisure
- 07 June After breakfast, transfer to Hilo airport for flight to Honolulu; upon arrival transfer to hotel. Free at leisure. Accommodation: Four star hotel
- 08 June After breakfast, sightseeing tour (mini circle island, Pearl Harbour and Honolulu) Free at Ieisure.
- 09 June Breakfast at hotel. Free at leisure
- 10 June After breakfast, transfer to Honolulu airport; departure for home.
Tour price based on 25 participants :
- Twin (2 adults sharing a room with 2 beds) CAD $1390.00 per person
- Single (single occupancy with 1 bed) CAD $2110.00 per person
Tour price includes:
- Hotel accommodation 4 nights in HiIo, 3 nights in Honolulu in four star hotels
- Hotel- porterage service (l piece per person only)
- Daily hotel breakfast
- Arrival & Departure service by 25 seat bus (except on 05 June to Mauna Kea Observatory: 2 special vehicles with 15 seats each) **No car service provided for free days.
- Gratuity to Driver & Guide (USD 5.00 per person)
- Sightseeing tours as listed in tour itinerary on 4th and 8th June
- International air ticket from Canada
- Domestic air ticket from Hilo to Honolulu and back
- Admission fees to Mauna Kea Observatories
- Lunch and dinner
- Personal expenses such as laundry, travel insurance, long distance calls.
- All prices are subject to change, depending on date of booking and final number of participants
- Each traveler must bring winter clothing for weather conditions at the summit of Mauna Kea
- While the Gemini North visit has been confirmed the schedule and transportation arrangements for 5 June are subject to change.
- Current air fares are approximately CAD $1500 so the total tour price will be approximately $3,000 based on double occupancy. If enough book at once, we may be able to get group fares. Air travel can be booked with the tour agent:
If you are interested in participating a non-refundable deposit is due immediately to:
4188 Finch Ave. East, Unit 11
Scarborough, ON M1S 4T6
Tel : 416 609-1388
Fax : 416 609-9860