Society Election Information
Current Election Information - 2017 Board of Directors Election
Nominations Deadline: 2017 May 1
Campaign Period: May 8 – June 2
Election Period: June 5 – June 23
Participation on the RASC Board of Directors is a leadership experience that provides rich opportunity for personal and astronomical growth!
- Be part of our leadership team at The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
- The Nominating Committee is seeking at least three candidates to run for the Board of Directors
- The President, 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice-President, National Secretary, and Treasurer will be drawn from the ranks of the Board, which will include the three members chosen in this election and six members who were elected in 2015 and 2016.
The Nominating Committee can be reached through the Society Office at 888-924-7272 or by email at email@example.com
Here are the rules for candidate eligibility as set out in the RASC Policy Manual:
The Nominating Committee will ensure that candidates for the RASC Board of Directors meet the following criteria:
- be a member in good standing of the Society;
- meet the requirements for being a Board member as outlined by the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, and, specifically:
- be over the age of 18 at the time of the Annual General Meeting (this year, July 2);
- be an individual person (i.e. not a body corporate);
- be solvent (not bankrupt);
- have agreed to stand for election in writing;
- have the support in writing of at least 3 people, one of whom is a member of the Society; and,
- have agreed to abide by the Society’s Directors and Officer’s Code of Conduct and indicated their willingness to sign the Society’s Board of Director’s agreement prior to assuming office.
As part of the nomination process, candidates will be asked to provide a Candidate’s Statement (see below), including:
- their previous experience with councils and committees of the Society at both the National and Centre levels;
- a suitable photograph in electronic format as well as contact information as required;
- committee work and experience outside of the Society that may be relevant to the Society; and
- their goals for the Society and how they would contribute to the Board if elected.
Anyone wishing to be a candidate should write or email the RASC Nominating Committee through its chair, Robyn Foret. Each candidate should state that they understand the eligibility requirements and state that they meet those requirements. Candidates must agree to abide by the RASC Director's and Officers Code of Conduct. They should also indicate whether they intend to seek a position on the executive, and if so, what position they are seeking. Candidates should also send a candidate's statement as set out above. The three supporters for each candidate should also write or email the committee. Candidates and their supporters must inform the Nominating Committee of their intention to run or support for a candidate by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, 2017 May 1.
Candidates' statements will be posted on the RASC website no later than 2017 May 8. Candidates can campaign from May 8 through June 2. Voting will take place from 2017 June 5 through June 23, and results will be announced 2017 June 24. All members of the RASC will be eligible to vote, and facilities to vote on line will be available as well as paper ballots on request from the Society Office.