Society Election Information
Current Election Information - 2015 Board of Directors Election
Nominations Deadline: 2015 May 15
Campaign Period: 2014 May 20 - 2015 Jun 19
Election Period: 2015 Jun 20 - 2015 Jun 30
Participation on the RASC Board of Directors is a leadership experience that provides rich opportunity for personal and astronomical growth!
- Be part of our leadership team at The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
- The Nominating Committee is seeking at least three candidates to run for the Board of Directors
- The President, 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer will be drawn from the ranks of the Board, which will include the three members chosen in this election and six members who were elected in 2014 for terms expiring in 2016 and 2017.
The Nominating Committee can be reached through the Society Office at 888-924-7272 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the rules for candidate eligibility as set out in the RASC Policy Manual:
The Nominating Committee will ensure that candidates for the RASC Board of Directors meet the following criteria:
- be a member in good standing of the Society;
- meet the requirements for being a Board member as outlined by the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, and, specifically:
- be over the age of 18 at the time of the Annual General Meeting (this year, June 29);
- be an individual person (i.e. not a body corporate);
- be solvent (not bankrupt);
- have agreed to stand for election in writing;
- have the support in writing of at least 3 people, one of whom is a member of the Society; and,
- have agreed to abide by the Society’s Directors and Officer’s Code of Conduct and indicated their willingness to sign the Society’s Board of Director’s agreement prior to assuming office.
As part of the nomination process, candidates will be asked to provide a Candidate’s Statement, including:
- their previous experience with councils and committees of the Society at both the National and Centre levels;
- a suitable photograph in electronic format as well as contact information as required;
- committee work and experience outside of the Society that may be relevant to the Society; and
- their goals for the Society and how they would contribute to the Board if elected.
Anyone wishing to be a candidate should write or email the RASC Nominating Committee through its chair, Christopher Gainor. Each candidate should state that they understand the eligibility requirements and state that they meet those requirements. Candidates must agree to abide by the RASC Director's and Officers Code of Conduct. They should also indicate whether they intend to seek a position on the executive, and if so, what position they are seeking. Candidates should also send a candidate's statement as set out above. The three supporters for each candidate should also write or email the committee. Candidates and their supporters must inform the Nominating Committee of their intention to run or support for a candidate by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, May 15, 2015.
Candidates' statements will be posted on the RASC website no later than May 20, 2015. Candidates can campaign from May 20, 2015 through June 19, 2015. Voting will take place from June 20 through June 30, 2015, and results will be announced the next day, July 1, 2015. All members of the RASC will be eligible to vote, and facilities to vote on line will be available as well as paper ballots on request from the Society Office.
The nominating committee will be pleased to answer questions from any member of the RASC about this election process.The Nominating Committee can be reached by mail through the Society Office of the RASC, 203 - 4920 Dundas Street W, Toronto ON M9A IB7 or by email at email@example.com
Christopher Gainor, Ph.D., Chair, Nominating Committee RASC