Wolf Cub Badge Requirements
Ages 8 to 11
The Cub program includes a series of activity areas. Astronomy is part of the Black Star (natural world) activities: "Point out the North Star and three constellations" and also the Green Star (outdoor skills) activities: "Tell how the sun, moon and North Star can help you find directions" and also the Purple Star (Canada and the world) activities: "Make a presentation describing Canadian space technology and travel".
There are two astronomy-related badges:
ASTRONOMER BADGE (natural world)
- Teach another Cub how to use the pointer stars of the Big Dipper to find Polaris, the North Star.
- Show how to orient and read a seasonal star map. Be able to find five constellations of your choice.
- Learn and tell a story related to a constellation, or an aboriginal legend regarding the night sky.
- Know and describe three sky features
- (a) Milky Way
- (b) Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights
- (c) Comets
- (d) Meteors
- (e) Planets
- (f) Stars
- (g) Satellites
- (h) Eclipses
- Know the phases of the moon, and the moon's role in causing ocean tides.
SPACE EXPLORATION BADGE (Canada and the world)
Do any four of the following requirements:
- Discuss the importance of space technology in Canadian living. This could include:
- (a) weather forecasts
- (b) communications (c) search and rescue operations
- (d) map making
- (e) promoting international cooperation between Canada and other countries.
- Make a drawing or model of a satellite, such as Canada's first satellites
Alouette I and II, ISIS or Hermes, or another satellite of your choice.
- Make a presentation about the Space Shuttle, including the Canadarm.
- Design and build a space station. Include living requirements. such as water, air and food supplies, power sources, communications, and describe what peaceful activities the space station can be used for.
- Draw or make a model of a rocket, or of a space craft of your own design. Tell about any special features you have included in your model.
- Draw or make a space suit currently in use, or one of your own design. Tell about any special features you have included in your model.
- Make a report on or a scrapbook about an astronaut, mission team, or space mission of your choice.