RASC Education Programs
The national RASC Education committee helps to promote astronomy education, particularly for school-age children and the public. The RASC offers several education programs including:
Please note: the pages in the Education section of the website have not been maintained for several years now.
- Public Speaker Program
- This program provides funds to help Centres bring speakers to their area from other parts of the country.
- International Year of Astronomy 2009
- The International Year of Astronomy (IYA2009) was a global celebration of astronomy and its contributions to society and culture, highlighted by the 400th anniversary of the first use of an astronomical telescope by Galileo. The RASC participated extensively in public education and other activities leading up to and during 2009.
- Canada-wide Science Fair
- The RASC sponsors the Award for Excellence in Astronomy each year at the Canada-Wide Science Fair.
- International Astronomy Day
- The RASC is an active supporter of International Astronomy Day and our local Centres put on programs including star parties in many cities and towns across Canada. Find out more about what is happening in your community!
- The RASC is proud to offer Canada's only teaching guide to astronomy Skyways (and Explorons l'Astronomie en français) and other bilingual publications of interest to astronomy educators.
- Web Resources
- This section of the RASC Web site is maintained by astronomy educators and brings together a unique set of resources that help educators, students, and others find out about our favourite subject!