The Society continued to prosper during the 1950s. A new Centre was founded in Halifax in 1955. In 1956 the RASC purchased its own building (252 College Steet in Toronto). Members entered the space age in 1957, participating in the SAO Moonwatch program. The annual meeting was held outside Toronto for the first time (in Hamilton) in 1958. The Service Award was instituted in 1959.