(1941-) University of Alberta astronomer; Service Award, 1982; Society President (1994-95).
DOUGLAS P. HUBE (1941-) grew up in St. Catharines, Ontario, joined the RASC in 1960, and went on to study Astronomy at the University of Toronto. In the course of his graduate work on the radial velocities of B8-B9 stars, he met Joan, a research assistant at the DDO. They married and went off to Africa for seven months where Doug obtained spectra of southern B stars at the Radcliffe Observatory. On returning to Toronto, they both continued their research, Joan co-authoring three papers and Doug completing his Ph.D. in 1968. Following a year on an NRC Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Kitt Peak National Observatory in Arizona, Dr. Hube joined the faculty at the University of Alberta.
Hube soon became known at the University for his rare ability to combine a strong research program with outstanding teaching. He greatly strengthened the astronomy component of the Physics Department and oversaw the fabrication and installation of a new 50-cm telescope at the University's Devon Observatory in 1977.
Edmonton benefited greatly from his talents. He served as Vice-Chairman of the Edmonton Space Sciences Foundation and played an important part in the success of the ESS facility. Hube became known as a vital resource person by the media. He wrote dozens of articles for Stardust on current developments in Astronomy; he spoke to the Centre on a number of occasions and was their President in 1972 and 1982.
The broader membership of the Society got to know the Hubes at General Assemblies. A number of his articles appeared in the National Newsletter  and Journal . Douglas Hube was awarded the Service medal  in 1982 and accepted the position of Second Vice-President in 1990.
—Peter Broughton (from Looking Up )
No documents or images were found in the archives for this topic.