Observing Certificate Programs Offered by the RASC
The RASC offers four observing certificate programs to promote active observing. By successfully completing these programs you are eligible for an official certificate from the RASC. Observing certificates are a great way to challenge yourself, learn more about the night sky and get the most out of our challenging and rewarding hobby.
- Explore the Universe Certificate - A challenging program for the new astronomer covering all major astronomical objects including constellations, bright stars, the Moon, Deep Sky Objects, and Double Stars. Suitable for both binoculars and telescopes.
- Messier Certificate - Take a stroll through astronomical history as you follow Charles Messier's 18th century journey through the northern skies. His famous list of 110 "not comets" includes some of the most spectacular objects in the northern hemisphere.
- Finest NGC Certificate - A somewhat more challenging list for the experienced observer, developed by Sky News Magazine Associate Editor Alan Dyer. The Finest NGC list includes a further 110 objects, mainly from the New General Catalogue.
- Isabel Williamson Lunar Certificate - The RASC's lunar observing certificate program. It includes a comprehensive list of the best features visible on the surface of the Moon and detailed observing notes and explanations that will guide you through a complete tour of the amazing surface of our nearest neighbour in space.
- Deep Sky Gems - A lengthy list containing many interesting and challenging objects for all observers.
- Deep Sky Challenge - These 45 objects challenge even experienced observers and require the use of both small wide-field instruments as well as large aperture to complete.