The Light-Pollution Abatement (LPA) Committee is a Permanent Committee of the Board. It helps to co-ordinate and expand the RASC's efforts to fight the detrimental effects of light pollution on human health, the environment, and (of course) the night sky, while helping to encourage energy conservation. The committee:
- Maintains extensive Web resources on light-pollution initiatives in Canada on the RASC Web site;
- Acts as the RASC's liaison with the International Dark Sky Association and other light-pollution groups around the world;
- Administers the RASC's LPA Certificate of Merit program to recognize and promote initiatives that reduce light pollution across Canada;
- Conducts research on current light-pollution levels; and
- Encourages the sharing of strategies and techniques that are effective in encouraging individuals, companies, and municipalities to adopt effective measures to reduce light pollution.
To reach the committee you may e-mail the Light-Pollution Abatement Committee Chair.
Committee Members - Effective July 2014
- Robert Dick (Ottawa), Chair
- Chris Beckett (Regina)
- Roland Dechesne (Calgary)
- James Edgar ex officio (President, Regina)
- Rick Huziak (Saskatoon)
- Dorothy Paul (Victoria)
- Dan Taylor (Windsor)
- Chris Weadick (New Brunswick)