Honoured guests at the unveiling of the historic plaque marking the location of Ontario’s first observatory: Dr. John Downie, Dean of the Department of Applied Sciences of Queen’s University; Dr. A. Vibert Douglas, Founder and Honorary President of the Kingston Centre and Past President (1943–1944) of the R.A.S.C.; and Professor Victor Hughes of the Department of Physics of Queen’s University. Photo by Leo Enright.
This is the typescript of Malcolm M. Thomson's important The Beginning of the Long Dash: A History of Timekeeping in Canada (1978). Thomson's monograph is the standard account of its subject. The version here is fuller than that published by the University of Toronto Press in 1978.